Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Seesaw

I glance down at my watch and begin to head out the door. Within seconds I feel the cool breeze and smell the fresh air, as I join the many commuters headed back to where they came from, via various means of transportation. For some reason it’s when I’m headed back home at the end of the day that sometimes this sad feeling sinks in of “I kind of wish I had someone special to be heading back home to.” Not that I don’t like where I’m living right now, but it’s not the same as being married and going home to your spouse. Or so I imagine, though perhaps I’m just dreaming.

The truth is that every day is different. Some days I find myself thinking, “Ok, if I didn’t get married for another couple of years, then that is perfectly fine, what is my rush?” while other days just the thought of being single for another few months is painful enough.

I’m not sure which one is harder or hurts more: Hoping every day that this will be day that I find the right person and being disappointed day after day, or giving up and saying that maybe I should just not expect to ever get married because it’s hard to keep holding on. I can’t hold on anymore, but I can’t let go. Neither one works for me, but I have to do one or the other.

So I do both and neither, seesawing back and forth. I despair and announce that I’ve had enough, I can’t take it anymore, and try to move on with my life, focus on the great things that I do have in my life, and go on pretending that life will be perfectly fine if I never get married. Why bother dreaming that I’ll get married soon, when it might take years and years? Other times, however, I encourage myself, strengthen my attitude, and remain persistent with my optimism, declaring each day that at any second I could meet the right person, or at least receive a phone call that leads to meeting the right person. This is something that I want and I cannot simply let go of that desire.

At the end of the day, like with everything in life, what works best is to find a balance. On the one hand it is crucial to hold strong and have faith, to know that one day it will happen and that is all that matters. Don’t give up hoping, dreaming, and searching. Yet at the same time it is important to accept life for what it is, to learn to deal with the fact that I don’t know when I will find the right person, and it might be a while, but that is OK because Hashem made my life exactly the way it is for a specific reason. Like most things, however, it is much easier said than done.

3 comments:

  1. I totally know how you feel....

    What helps me is just not thinking about it (I should say that I try not to); I don't think of what I wish I could have, but how to deal with the present in the best and most productive way possible. As for hoping, don't give up hope ever. Majority of the (frum) world ends up marrying, why think you'll be any different?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A change of perspective is really needed. It is so easy to slip into despair, even when it is unwarranted. One should not view marriage as a happily ever after; I'm sure there are times when a wife heads home thinking "Blah, I hope he's not home yet." I have noticed it is not the young marrieds who dole out pity; it is the older women. The youngsters aren't finding this, necessarily, as so much fun; running a household, crying babies at night while keeping a job, the ever-evil laundry. I have gotten longing looks from people, envying my currently string-less life.

    While we do wish to marry (and we will marry, ladies), that doesn't mean we have to abhor the single life while we have it. Appreciate the fact that you don't have to buy, chop, and cook dinner every day; that you can go shopping instead of worrying about the rent; that you can have 8 hours of straight sleep.

    I think emotional highs and lows can be as dangerous as yo-yo weight gain/loss; we do not believe in extremes. Keep a steady, level, yet positive course, and find the best in whatever situation one is currently in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sun inside Rain- it's more hoping that it will be any time soon. I don't think I could ever fully give up hoping to get married even if I tried.

    Bookworm- you're right. Everything has its pros and cons and I'm sure married people can find tons to complain about!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments are welcome, especially on old posts. Please do not use inappropriate language. Thanks!